Pages

Monday, November 21, 2011

Mother of the Year Moment #1

We've all had those moments of realization when we have to acknowledge the fact that we failed in our role as a mother. I labeled this post with a "#1" because more will certainly follow.

So, one night Avery and I were watching Beauty and the Beast. She was watching it and I was reading, then suddenly I hear her say, "Damn it." So, I calmly ask her to repeat what she said because it is not unlikely that I would mis-hear her. So she repeats it and, unfortunately, I heard her correctly.

Upon asking for an explanation, she tells me that Beast just said, "Damn it!" in the movie. "When?" I ask. She tells me that he says it in the bath tub.

Rewind. Play. "Damn it." What?!? No way! Rewind. Play. "Damn it." DVD Menu. Closed captioning on. Rewind. Play. I hear "Damn it," but CC says "Daring." Phew. After a phew more listens, I confirm that he does in fact say, "Daring."

Then Avery and I had to have a discussion about the use of the damn it phrase. I asked her if she knew what it meant. She was quite proud to tell me that it meant "not good." Apparently, when she heard me say it, I was quite effective at communicating that the situation was "not good." I had to explain that she was right, but that we shouldn't say it. I was wrong to say it and shouldn't say it any more.

The unfortunate thing about this whole occurrence, aside from the obvious lack of motherly inner monologue, is that every time we watch B&B, she has to explain to anyone and everyone what Beast does and does not say. It goes something like, "Beast not say damn it. Nooooooo, nooooooo." Laughter. "He's not 'posed to say that. He says daring." This need for clarification led to a questioning text from my mother while she was watching the movie with her.

So, needless to say. I have said the d-word in front of my children. Let it be known that I saved it for an instance like spilling hot coffee all over my lap while driving. Or breaking a glass jar on my kitchen tile, then five minutes later breaking another glass object in my pantry. Applicable instances, poor self control.

Has your munchkin outed you regarding a not-so ideal situation? Care to share?


PS - Forgive my poor use of quotation marks. I'm aware of my lack of grammatical abilities. 


PPS - Please also forgive my blogging absence the past few weeks! I'll explain my time management issues in Friday's post. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment