Pages

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

I Want It Purkt-fit . . .

Our creation. Sun, stem & leaves courtesy of Avery.
Avery and I were doing some alphabet games on the iPad and her reward for playing such games is to be able to use the doodle app. Well, she wanted me to draw a horse and I told her that if I drew one, that she would have to draw one next. Tears. Streaming. Uncontrollably. "But mom, I can't."

What the heck. My child is an emotional wreck. This is a thought I have daily. I finally calmed her down and told her that her drawing does not have to be the best. She just needs to practice and practice and she'll learn to get better. "But mom," she said. "I want it to be purkt-fit."

Perfect. Crap. God gave me one of those people. Someone just like myself, just like Mike. One who places ridiculous expectations upon oneself. These people excel in school and measurable things. They also have self-induced ulcers. This was a key moment in understanding my daughter. In hindsight, it should have been obvious.

We've been trying to figure out why Avery has been disinterested in learning letters. When I'd ask her to sit with me or have a conversation about a letter, she'd rush off or tell me that she couldn't. Every letter was an "R" or and "A," sigh. I was pretty frustrated. Some told me that she's still young, others tried to hide their judgment when I confessed she had little interest.  Then I found myself face to face with my bookwormy friend Jessica's adorable 20-month-old. She was picking up blocks and identifying the letters that adorned their sides. I calmed my inner breakdown and found some genuine joy for my friend's genius toddler and reserved my mourning for a later time. (Love you Jess, E is amazing!)

So, I lay awake at night worrying with God if my daughter will be dyslexic or if we'll have to turn every letter into an animal. Praying that He will make me a mom that is ok with a C student if that's her best. Wondering how we'll manage if Nathan is an academic and Avery is not and making them both understand that their equally loved and valued.  Anyone else have ridiculous what if thoughts like I do? Meanwhile, God was orchestrating the horse drawing incident. It occurred the next day. The glorious epiphany.

I've since changed my approach to learning letters and numbers. She is immersed in them without knowing it. We have conversations about them. She's begun to have the confidence to identify them on signs, shirts and food cartons. We do an iPad alphabet or number game daily. I don't pressure her like before and I encourage her greatly when she's successful.

I think school has brought this need for perfection to the surface. She has 12 other peers to whom she can compare herself. She can see their "success" and compare her work. It was bound to happen, I just wish it was when she was a bit more reasonable.

I had a mid-year conference with her preschool teacher and revealed this new information to her. I'm so grateful for her 20 year experience. She nodded in realization. She showed me a self portrait Avery drew in July and one that she drew in January. The July portrait looked like a person, the January portrait looked like a blob of lines. I absolutely know that she thought she couldn't do it well, so she just didn't even try.

I can relate. There are a few things I didn't attempt in life because of fear of failure - playing college volleyball being at the top of the list. Now, how to teach her to cope with expectations of herself . . . so that she might have the fear, but still take the action.

Are there personality traits of yours that have surfaced in your kids? How have they manifested within their personality?

12 comments:

  1. Thanks. :)

    But honestly, I have fears about it too -- because I absolutely did not sit down and teach her letters, she pointed out H and Y by herself the first time, and blew me away. Now that she's shown interest, I spend time on letters with her, but I'm hesitant to teach her too many, just because she is so young. I don't want her being a bragger, or always thinking she's smarter than other kids, or thinking that academics are more important than other things.

    One of the great things about Avery is how polite she is! Eleanor point blank refuses to say please or thank you, and "welcome" sounds like vel-punkt, so no one knows what she's saying. So I have fears that I'm going to have a braggy, impolite little honor roll kid. :P

    Funny how every kid brings their own worries!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true. Thanks for the encouraging words about Avery! And I HIGHLY doubt the Eleanor will be a braggy, impolite academic. I, however def understand the fear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen to what Jessica said. I have fears about one of my kids being behind the other, or one not doing something well. Can I tell you my first thought looking at Avery's picture was how beautiful her "R" was and how Sierra's are weird and she colors in the circle every single time? I think as moms we feel so judged by so many people, no matter what choices we make, that we tend to start feeling judged all the time, even beginning to measure our kids by what others might think. Many many of us do it, and I am included in that. We all need to chill and enjoy our kids for the amazing things they do and who they are, and just encourage them in the places where they struggle, knowing that in adulthood they'll find ways to use their strengths to overcome their weaknesses as long as we love on them and encourage them throughout their childhood. Again, I'm included in that! Let's have some hot chocolate and let the kids play together, doing whatever they want. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.S. As for our personality traits, Taylor is Chris and Sierra is me. Almost to a "T." But I sometimes find my not-so pleasant traits in the kids, and then I feel sad about it and try to change myself so that they'll see that, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As a mom of high schoolers, I wish I could say it gets easier with time, but it doesn't. I still have those same fears. Ben is my academically minded kid. Dustin just wants to have fun in life. I think he feels like Ben will always be better than him, so why try. I wish Dustin could see how he is unique and people are so drawn to him and his smile (he is also an amazing speller and reader!). Yes, Ben is better at the "math" subjects, but ask him to spell a word and he gets totally flustered. As everyone has already posted, we need to celebrate their differences and embrace them. Maybe this is why our children always think we love the other one more. They only see us praising their sibling, but have deaf ears when we are praising them. Maybe if we are honest with our children and show them our short comings they won't set such crazy expectations on themselves. We work so hard at being the "perfect mom", but lets show our kids that we aren't perfect, but we are willing to try and do the best that we can. Just some thoughts.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Auntnays is wise. I, too, had a first-born perfectionist. In first grade he wanted to kill himself because he misspelled 'vegetable' on a practice spelling test! In junior high, he missed an ice cream social because he noticed a single typo on a paper and stayed home to redo it. In college, he began to learn to accept that he wasn't going to be the best at everything he did. We had always told him that this is how life is, but I think we as humans have to experience something many times before it sinks in. The world of a first born is skewed. She basically has seen adults functioning well in day-to-day activities, doing things with ease that she cannot begin to accomplish. As far as letting our children see that we are not perfect, being transparent with them and admitting our mistakes, asking them for forgiveness, and controlling our own frustration with imperfection is about all we can do for them. Unconditional love and prayer are our tools.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Erica - I made R!! Don't feel bad ;-)

    So true, we just need to sit back and enjoy what's in front of us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Danne - You are so right about showing our weaknesses, but modeling how we want to better them. Erica mentioned something similar.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I appreciate your experience Linda - It took me until college also to realize that a B didn't mean I was a complete failure.

    I often admit my mistakes to Avery, but I rarely ask for forgiveness. I will begin this today!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am definitely a first born perfectionist:) I have high expectations for myself because I value excellence and helping others, but I know that a downside is being trapped in thinking that my "performance" determines my worth.. As a new mom I now fear that in my efforts to lead my little guy to pursue things with excellence I might overstep and make him feel as if I'm always disappointed in him. Anyway I just wanted to say this blog and chat was encouraging for me to read; here's hoping we can all appreciate each of our kids and assure them of our unconditional love so they are empowered. It's a scary and sometimes cruel world our kids have to grow up in.. I just want to ensure that Owen knows I believe in him. And I want to train him well to accept who God has made him to be and do all things for the glory of God.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Julie shared this, not sure why it didn't publish . . .

    "I am definitely a first born perfectionist:) I have high expectations for myself because I value excellence and helping others, but I know that a downside is being trapped in thinking that my "performance" determines my worth.. As a new mom I now fear that in my efforts to lead my little guy to pursue things with excellence I might overstep and make him feel as if I'm always disappointed in him. Anyway I just wanted to say this blog and chat was encouraging for me to read; here's hoping we can all appreciate each of our kids and assure them of our unconditional love so they are empowered. It's a scary and sometimes cruel world our kids have to grow up in.. I just want to ensure that Owen knows I believe in him. And I want to train him well to accept who God has made him to be and do all things for the glory of God."

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad you found some encouragement. Owen is blessed to have you and Dave as parents. I can't begin to imagine the ways God has chosen to gift him!

    ReplyDelete