Pages

Friday, October 28, 2011

Lunch Time Fun?

So, I've taken a stab at "bento-ing." Perhaps you have a curious look upon your face. A week ago, I would have had a similar stare.

One of Melissa's Creations
Last week I was on FB and I saw a friend had liked a post from a blog, Another Lunch. I stumbled over there and proceeded to spend two hours perusing Melissa's amazing posts and pics. Basically, a bento lunch is a lunch that is eco-, kid-, and creatively friendly. It has minimal waste, is healthy and fun.

I decided to take a stab at bentoing for Avery and its been a ton of fun for her - and me! I've done mostly lunches and a couple snacks. Even if we're eating at home, I'll make her lunch interesting by adding some mini-forks or putting some grapes on a swizzle stick. I've been using cookie cutters to cut out her sandwiches. She loves it! It has been pretty valuable to me personally because I enjoy serving her in this way. It also encourages me to come up with healthy options for both her and Nathan.

The pros for me are endless. She definitely eats more. She enjoys using the mini-forks and loves eating off of the swizzle sticks. Who knew? The little silicone cups are fun too. You can put anything in them and its a great way to portion control. Bentos are meant to travel. I picked her up from school and had to run errands so she ate lunch in the car and finished in the store. The cost has been minimal because I have tiny tubs and I bought the silicone cups at Ross and found some cute little things for fairly cheap on Amazon.

For this lunch in the photos - which isn't totally aesthetically pleasing, but it worked - I used two heart shaped cookie cutters. One for the sandwich and one for the fruit leather on the sides. Two silicone cups, one for the mini crackers and one for sliced string cheese. I usually add some fruit, but we were out. I'm still trying to figure out what to use for filler. I found the fork online and the green bin at Ross.  I saved the "waste" of the sandwich and the fruit leather for my lunch and the string cheese for Nate.




Avery enjoying her lunch. She ate every piece!

I'm nowhere near the level of my inspiration, but I'm heading there!

Check out Another Lunch and be awed. Melissa is very thematic and did the Twelve Days of Christmas last year. She's amazing!

How do you make lunches interesting? I need ideas! Would you take a stab at creating a bento lunch?

5 comments:

  1. OK, so I thought, I'll try this on a mini scale. Adelynn has been going through a phase of not wanting to eat anything but what she wants so... She use to eat tuna sandwiches and I was hungry too, so I thought ok, now I'll try this. I got star cookie cutter out and cut the bread into a star shape and added the tuna. What does she do? She wants the bowl I mixed the tuna in and grabs a spoon. She told me to eat the sandwich, she wanted the bowl. ha! Oh well, at least she's eating tuna. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oops, typed my last name wrong. oh well...

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is hysterical! Classic buy the toy, they play in the box situation ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay bento! It's funny, because I was completely obsessed with Another Lunch while I was pregnant, when bento lunches were definitely several years away. I'm excited to start doing stuff like this soon though, once Eleanor is big enough that I don't have to worry about her eating swizzle sticks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe I should start "bento-ing" your Dad's lunches!

    ReplyDelete