Pages

Friday, October 7, 2011

Nobody Told Me . . .

. . . that I would miss my music this much.


I love music. It takes you back. It lifts you up. It makes you feel.

My kids love music. We dance in the kitchen while I make dinner. We sing in the car. Nathan flails his arms to the music. He especially gets into it when a song has a jam out session in the middle. Avery enjoys action and movie songs. She's particularly fond our friend Dave's (DSM's) Creation Song. She's begun to ask what every song is about, most notably if it's a song to which I sing along.

The music I love the most is not kid appropriate. Snow Patrol, Dashboard Confessional, Dave Matthews Band, Foo Fighters, Lifehouse, and so on.

I have a playlist on my iPod titled "Depressing but Necessary." I think we should all create such a list! Avery is incredibly perceptive to emotion and these songs would literally make her sad. Needless to say, I don't listen to them very often. Then, when I finally do indulge, I realize just how much I've missed my dear friends.

So, by now you're thinking, "What is on this playlist?" There are 101 songs on the list, so I cannot share them all. but here are my top ten. It was incredibly difficult to choose.

Mikelle & I at a DMB concert. 
In no particular order:

1. Crack the Shutters - Snow Patrol
2. Need You Now - Lady Antebellum
3. What If You - Joshua Radin
4. Everything - Lifehouse
5. Hallelujah - Kate Voegele
6. Collide - Howie Day
7. Rest Stop - Matchbox Twenty
8. Crash Into Me - Dave Matthews Band
9. Hands Down - Dashboard Confessional
10. Round Here - Counting Crows
11. Crazy For You - Madonna (It just came on and I can't eliminate any of the above!)

What are your favorite kid-inappropriate songs? Or perhaps a kid-inappropriate band?

PS - I have a new commenting system on here. You can log in with a FB, Twitter, Google or Yahoo account. You can also create your own Disqus account with only your name and email. I know that some of you had difficulties creating an account with the old system.  
Additionally, as much as I love reading your comments on Facebook, I would love it even more if I got to read them here!

5 comments:

  1. I've still been listening to my music...but I'm sure in a couple more months I'll have to stop listening to some of it. But I mostly listen to country, which is largely ok I think. (With the exception of a few things like the Lady A on your list).

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's funny because I hardly ever listen to my music anymore and I guess I had never really thought of why. I never got an iPod and ever since my first was born, it's been Laurie Burkner band and Blue's clues! I will listen to Pandora and I have a Celine Dion station (one of), which is not inappropriate, maybe torturous, but not inappropriate. ha! But my inappropriate bands that "take me back" are probably Metallica and oh, I don't know, I went through a hugely inappropriate song phase in the early to mid '90's! ha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The 90's had a huge surge of questionable, but great music. The current questionable music is mostly lame in terms of listening quality. But the 90's . . . such great music!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Funny how kids can change our way of thinking. God's uses them in His plan to make us more like Him, lol. They are such a wonderful gift!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ugh, I miss my music too! Depeche Mode and Weezer are at the top of my list! Lots of my favorites aren't inappropriate, but they aren't others' favorites, so it's hard to enjoy when you know everyone else hates it! One day I'll be back to jamming out in the car to whatever I want! For now, it's Phineas & Ferb sing-a-long.

    ReplyDelete