Pages

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Jesus? A Toddler?

In the late 90's and early 2000's, there was a movie titled The Visual Bible: The Gospel According to Matthew. I hated it. I thought that the depiction of Jesus was ridiculous. My friends and I referred to him as the "happy Jesus." The church I attended would often use video clips of the movie and my mature - ahem - friends and I could hardly stifle our giggles. We felt that the actor, Bruce Marchiano (who is apparently named for a cherry), had a silly interpretation of Jesus. He would laughingly share parables, tousle the disciples hair and be passive during what many would consider a serious passage.

Ten+ years down the road, while I still don't care for the interpretation, I've gained some perspective. The Cherry had only been a Christian for five years when he gave that performance. He was a baby! He read in the first chapter of Hebrews about being "anointed with joy" and he ran with it. Far. Across the universe. Then back again. That was one joyful, happy Jesus.

There's so much about Jesus' person that is left to the imagination. What did Jesus and his boyz talk about at night around the campfires? Did he laugh when Peter passed gas? Or, perhaps, roll his eyes? Did he have to suggest bathing to the more smelly of them? Did he sleep on his back, side or stomach?

I've been considering these things, as well as the happy Jesus movie, as I've started a new Bible study about James. Upon studying the background of James, the study's author led us to his background . . . growing up with Jesus. That, in turn, has led me to more questions specifically about Jesus' childhood. Were he and James besties? Did he get flustered when his sisters hid his belongings? Did he elbow James when he started to snore? Did they stay up all night talking and giggling?

Or what about when he was Avery's age? Did he play quietly by himself or did he have to sit right at Mary's feet while she tended to her duties? Did he like to be held as Joseph told him stories? Did he put his sandals on the wrong feet? Did he laughingly stick his tongue out at the baker when his mom traded for flour? Did he get in Joseph's way as he made tables and chairs? Or maybe he preferred to build things in the sawdust as his dad worked. Did he have to help look after James? Sing him songs as he drifted off to sleep?

Or what about Nathan's age? Did he sleep thought the night instantly? Did he prefer his back or his belly? Did he prefer to be held when he was teething? Did he have a favorite possession that he took everywhere? Was he greatly amused as he poked Mary with sticks while she prepared dinner?

I know that Jesus was perfect, but he was also human. I think so often we imagine perfect as obediently boring. We forget he had a hand in creating our emotions, reactions and thoughts. I'm certain he was funny. I'm certain he teased his little sisters in love. I'm certain he picked up after his - at least six - brothers and sisters and did not enjoy it.

I like to think about these things because I it rounds out the man for me. While his last three years were the most significant of his life, he still had an upbringing. He had a family. I'm sure he mourned lost siblings, certainly his father. He learned a trade. Provided for his mother, brothers and sisters. He had thirty years before his "ministry" began. Perhaps I can relate to him far more than I ever considered.

What sorts of things do you wonder about Jesus' humanness? 

3 comments:

  1. I think that often, I wish we had some record of what kind of shenanigans Jesus got in to as a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find myself thinking about Jesus as a kid so much more since having one of my own! Especially at Christmastime. At the Christmas Eve service as Eleanor desperately tried to escape every chance she got, I was pondering whether or not baby Jesus was a runner. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. And also, how frustrating to grow up with a truly perfect older brother! Enough to give any kid an inferiority complex!

    ReplyDelete