Pages

Wednesday, August 14, 2013

One-On-One Time!

I've had so many things that I've wanted to post about lately! I've been overwhelmed by the need/desire to communicate, commiserate and encourage!

We started home schooling Avery last week and we hit our five day mark today. I'll post another time about why we chose this option of schooling for Avery, but after a few short days, I can already tell you that it was the right one for us!
Play-dough Sight Words!

Every other day was hard, and then the others were great! So, three bad days and two pretty darn good ones! We've had fun falling into calendar time and singing our morning songs. The kids are loving talking and crafting about the fruits of the spirit. I've been greatly encouraged by their love of all things God. I'm so blessed in that regard. Well, if I'm honest, Nate doesn't love all things God, he cries every Sunday when I tell him we're going to church. He loves it when he's there, but I swear you'd think the world was ending when he hears the word "church."

The real reason for this post is to share what I've learned over the past few weeks with my kids. When I spend purposeful one-on-one time with Nathan and Avery, they become different children. Sometimes school time is enough, sometimes it's not. It's like they need daily, morning affirmation of my love for them. Then the rest of the day is great! It has to be in the morning for us because it sets the tone for the day, but I'd imagine that your family could be different. This one-on-one time can occur with both kids concurrently, but I have to put my phone on vibrate and leave it in another room. I have be there, mentally engaged, interacting with them as we play, read, or create. It's definitely a challenge, but I can see the benefits of it almost instantly.

I think as our children grow older, as they become more capable, we're more willing to disengage. I've expected so much from Avery that I've almost forgotten her emotional needs. Sure, she plays great by herself, but that doesn't mean she should play by herself all the time! And this purposeful time has been awesome for Nathan too. He really loves being a part of community. That's why once he's in his class at church, he's totally fine. They each have their alone time with mom; Nate gets read to before nap and Avery and I spend 30 minutes doing whatever she wants while Nate naps. Then she has her own quiet time.

The more I think about it, I'm the same way. If I have one quality - this is the key - conversation with Mike every few days, my tank is full and my value meter is pegged. I'm also more likely do my wife/mom chores with the proper attitude! You may be thinking "every few days?" Yeah!, life happens. We don't connect in quality ways each day. Sometimes our conversations are purely logistical or strategy sessions for getting through the next few days. We have to be purposeful about engaging as friends, rather than parent or elder or leader or etc.

So! I encourage you to spend some purposeful time with your kiddos. We were having more than normal behavioral issues with Avery until we started doing this mid-summer. She's has changed dramatically! Also, I tend to be more productive throughout the day. They are more willing to play alone/with each other and not require my attention for longer periods of time. This allows me to clean the kitchen agian ...  and again ... and again. Anyone out there hear me on that one?!? I find myself more patient with them too. Everyone wins!

If you do this already, how has it benefited your kiddos?
If you don't, challenge yourself to try it for three days - thirty minutes each morning with zero distractions. I'd love to hear how it goes!


5 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing! We're still struggling through the school stuff so I'm scaling back and trying to keep it light (which I thought was already light but I'm sure we have to find the right groove). I have not been consistent in the intentional time with the girls but it has been more and more frequent and I'd totally agree...their behavior, attitude and mine is all very different when we do have that time; much more positive. Hope the homeschooling continues to go well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a challenge to it do it everyday! I'm glad you've found success in scaling back. It's hard to follow their lead but also challenge them appropriately. Sigh, parenthood 😝

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've noticed that with Judah BIG TIME! If I really focus on spending good, quality time with him each day, he reacts so positively. Seems like a no-brainer, but it's hard for me to keep it in mind and remember! What curriculum are you using? The school aspect of life is really hard for us; just can't seem to find our groove yet. (More than 2 years in!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's amazing what a difference it makes, huh?!?

    We're using a variation of curriculum, Handwriting Without Tears, Math-U-See (we haven't started this yet) and The Reading Lesson. That's mostly it. Supplemental worksheets, Bob books, read alouds, calendar time, etc. I don't have a Bible curriculum, we're doing the fruit of the spirit first and then the amor of God. I just use a couple blogs a resources. Avery's super hands on and we have to move at her pace thru most things. Phew! That was long!

    I try to get the schooling done in the am so we can run errands and clean house in the afternoon. Your schooling probably takes up more of the day, though, since Judah is older!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't wait for your post about the "why" behind your family's homeschooling decision. I remember you telling me about your commitment to public school ~6 months ago so I'm eager to hear how God changed your heart.


    Sounds like you're settling into a wonderful groove! Best wishes for a wonderful school year.

    ReplyDelete