Pages

Thursday, September 22, 2011

Is that Jesus?

While watching Billy the Exterminator, we saw a preview for some show called Person of Interest. The following conversation ensued:

Me: Mike, isn't that Jesus?
Avery(confidently) No, that's not Jesus.
Mike: What? No, it's not.
Me: Look! It is. I think it's Jesus.
Avery(more confidently) Mom! That is NOT Jesus!
Mike: Hmmm, not Jesus. I think it's the Count of Monte Cristo.
Me: (eye roll) Mike, Jesus IS the Count of Monte Cristo.
Mike: Really? Huh.
Avery: Maaaaaaaaaaahm, that isn't Jesus!
Me: Avery! You're right. That isn't Jesus. Do you know what Jesus looks like?
Avery: I not know.

I often wonder about Avery's concept of Jesus and God. She knows that Jesus is God's son. She knows we pray to Them and They help us and heal us. She also knows that God made everything. She understands that They want us to love people and treat them nicely. I've never considered how she envisions them.

There is a painting of Jesus in the "lobby" of our church office. Our Lead Worshiper, Chris McLaughlin painted it. Whenever we stop by, Avery stops and stares at the painting for a few seconds. She'll turn and inform me that it's Jesus. I'm not sure if it's the size of the painting (like 6'x8') or the message in the eyes, but she is in awe of it. It moves me because I that's my prayer for her. That she'll have that same awe for Him when she fully understand who He is.

One thing she does understand - Jim Caviezel is NOT Jesus.

And now you also know that Mike has little to no cinematic knowledge.


How do/did your little ones personify Jesus and God? 





5 comments:

  1. Great post! It is a difficult subject to explain to kids. Jovhany is very curious and knows that God made everything, as we drive he will point out the window and say "God made ....." He asks a million questions and wants so much to meet Jesus, it is hard to explain that he is in his heart (he started to talk to his heart when I told him that). :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Luke sees God, and Jesus a shepherd. We have a pretty big poster that depicts Jesus leading a flock. He began to ask questions about it and started to tell him why Jesus is depicted as a shepherd.He loves the idea that God and Jesus are there to lead us, guide us and protect us. And I absolutely love that he understands that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so sweet that he talked to his heart! I love that! @Valerie Capuchino

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your blog. This made me think about what do I envision Jesus looking like.

    ReplyDelete